home | services
| biography | resume
| samples | accolades
| profile | contact
| calendar | links
Ronkin Site Administrator
· Introduction – Urban planning factors important to walking
& bicycling: the layout of cities & streets, land use, street
connectivity, access management, site design, building orientation,
creating good public spaces.
· Basics of sidewalk design – width, location, clearances,
surfacing, driveways, alleys, bridges
· Transit design: bus pullouts, shelters, access
· Wheelchair walk: participants navigate the real world
· ADA- “Universal Design”: designing a walkway system
that is accessible to all. Details such as minimum clearances, surfacing,
· Street crossings: principals of human behavior; medians, islands,
grade-separation, crosswalks, signals.
· Intersection design: basic principals, geometry, crosswalk
placement, signals, roundabouts.
Local Case Studies
Classroom exercise: a look at local conditions, students evaluate and